August 20, 2008

"That's Hot"

I'm constantly amazed by how excited people seem to be about the idea of me (or anyone for that matter) getting a PhD in genetics. The title of this entry is actually a direct quote from the bank teller I happened to speak to today while I was getting a bank check for my auto transporter. I guess asking for it to be made out to an auto shipping company is a dead giveaway. Then there are people like my cousin, who remind me that in the future, I will be "minting money".

I have absolutely no clue about how or where I'll end up. Right now my long terms plans are get out of grad school (hopefully in 4 years 0:-) ), get a job and spend my life with R. That's it. If I can mint money, that's cool too. But I gotta say, the reactions I get from other people make my life seem much more exciting than it seems to me. I just like biology. I'm a nerd. If my life ends up being half as cool or successful as everyone else seems to think it will be, then party at my place in 10 years or so when things get themselves on the up and up. I'll send out an Evite--or whatever newfangled thingamabob people will be using in 10 years.

And if I sound tired or disjointed in this email, it's because I've been driving for 10 hours (7.5 or more tomorrow...yay!). Please excuse. More coherent posts will follow.

3 comments:

Viv said...

that's hot. I'm so psyched for you! and so glad you're blogging so I can stalk you. check out my blog too!

DF said...

Mitch blogs!

Cham said...

Interesting the different responses you will get....I think the best response to my grad school plans is when I got to sit on a plane for 2 hours listening to some random man tell me all about his wife's depression and his obsession with second life. Most other people get confused and think I am becoming a psychiatrist.